So it is that we have decided to bring into being a new teaching coven. This coven will be a sister to Briar Rose, but will otherwise be completely autonomous. As the focus of Briar Rose is to do the Work, so the focus of this new coven will be to teach the basics, to share the Mysteries of the Crooked Path to those who are willing and able to pass beyond Her Gates.
Membership of this coven will be strictly limited, with a set number of local and distance places being available. Membership will require a commitment of the traditional year and a day. But do not contact us directly to request that you be considered for membership – all such direct requests will be refused.
Below, you will find information on how those who are interested may make their desire known, and students will be chosen from those who follow the directions given. There are no guarantees of acceptance, and once accepted, no guarantees that initiation will follow – as the old saying makes clear, “many are called, but few are chosen”.
There will be a certain number of local and distance learning positions available in the coven, and those interested in studying with us can make their interest known by following the directions below. Please note that those accepted for training will be committing to the following:
- Attending all classes (for local students) and handing in all homework, unless a good reason can be provided
- Maintaining the confidentiality of the Coven and fellow students
- Reading the required reading material for each section of the training
- A materials contribution of $10 per month will be requested of students. For local students, this will cover the cost of consumables used in teaching (candles, incense, refreshments etc), and for distance students this will cover the cost of making and mailing DVDs containing audio-visual material
The Coven will be teaching material for the Crooked Path as practiced by briar Rose. This involves the practice known by such names as “Traditional Witchcraft”, “The Nameless Art”, “The Cunning Craft” and “The Old Persuasion”, which will be expressed through the Myths and Lore of the Welsh Celtic Mysteries as found in the Mabinogion, though it can be expressed through the Mystery of any religion’s more esoteric aspects outside of Coven practice. In other words, we will be focusing on examples and Lore from Wales, but in your own practice it can be used with the myths and lore of your current spirituality.
Please note that while this process is aimed at bringing students to initiation on the Crooked Path, there is no guarantee that if accepted you will achieve that aim. All students will be assessed on their merits, and those who do not go through to initiation in the Crooked Path will be assisted in finding where their path lies.
In return for the commitment of the students, we in turn make the following commitments:
- To teach the material to the best of our ability
- To provide initiation to those who fulfill the requirements
- To assist all others to set foot firmly on their Path
- To maintain the confidentiality of all students
This is the way to make known your interest in studying with us. Approaching us by any other means will result in refusal.
- Send an email to email@example.com – this email address will be active until the end of May, so make your request before then.
- The email must include the following information:
- Your full legal name
- Your address
- Whether you wish to be a local or distance student
- Any prior experience, training or coven work with any Witchcraft tradition, including Wiccan traditions
- Your favorite books on Witchcraft (note: you do not get “extra points” for liking my books)
- Why you want to study with us
- What got you interested in Witchcraft?
- Any other information you feel may be useful or relevant
- Please be honest and do not exaggerate your experiences. Any untruths that are discovered will bring your association with us to an immediate end. You do not have to be already experienced, nor do you need to be a complete newbie – we just want to know where you are coming from.
- After a period of reflection, those who are selected to move on to the next step will be contacted. All others will receive an email informing them that they were not selected. No other communication on this matter will be made – NOTE: If you are not successful this time, you are welcome to try again when we next announce openings. Not being selected does not mean you are not “worthy”… it is possible that we will receive more requests than we can accept, in which case we may have to turn away candidates who are perfectly suitable.
- We realize that, to some, this process may seem exclusive and “elitist”, but the simple fact is that not all paths are suited to every person, and some discernment is required to ensure that the needs of both student and teacher are met. If you do not like the selection process, do not submit yourself to it.
- The minimum age is 21 years.